11.16.2009

Get Real...

At the beginning of High School I decided that girls got in the way of everything. I am still debating this topic today :) With this discussion I decided my best course of action would be to not like any girls. I went about a month of really just seeing all girls as friends, but I found that quickly changed. A girl caught my eye. Now, when this happened, instead of just saying "Yes I do like her, let me just be careful" I decided to say "I don't like her, I don't like her, I don't like her...." like a crazy person. The reason for me not wanting to like her was honorary, but I don't know about you; I have no control of who I like. I like to think I do, but I really don't. (If you know how to, please come see me, I have a handsome check for you!) 


My point of this is how often are we not real? 


I could spend the rest of my life saying, "I don't like her", but this is not I being honest, I am just lying to myself. Let's just agree that is not ok. I think we often find ourselves thinking that if we lie to ourselves, that somehow makes it truth. Instead, I should have said, "I like her, but what can I do about it in order to do what is right". 


I was once taught that you should always focus on that which you can change, and not focus on that which you can't change. You can't change who you are attracted to. You can change what you do about it. This is important to focus on.


Now, in a more realistic state- you need to be willing to talk in a very real manner with that cute guy. Not that you should talk about every thought that enters your mind, but if there is something big, and you know it is going to be awkward, don't dodge it. You need to be willing to buck up and talk to the person. 


A basis for a great relationship is open communication. How often are there issues between couples because there is some sort of miscommunication? So it is going to be very important that you two talk out important subjects in order to make sure both of you are on the same page. This will also make your relationship stronger because you are open with each other and fewer subjects are taboo. 


By using discernment of what to bring up, making sure you don't make mountains out of mole hills, yet not doing the opposite, and being willing and open to be real with one another, I believe you are going to find that there will be a new found respect for each other as well as just a better feeling of how you relate to your man.


"Honesty does not always bring a response of love, but it is absolutely essential to it." -Ray Blanton,
Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment